Frequently Asked Questions
When is it time to remodel?
Maybe when you realized that the avocado green and harvest gold appliances are no longer the “in” colors for today’s kitchens. Maybe you had an epiphany one day as you stood in line to use your own bathroom. Whatever the impetus, the thought has crossed your mind, “Maybe it’s time to remodel.” Once you decide to remodel, you’ll join millions of others who have decided to remodel their homes each year. The reasons for remodeling are as varied as the projects our experienced remodeling contractors undertake. Some of these include
- Adding more space with additions, changing kitchen layouts, increasing room for a master bath, finishing a basement or building sunrooms and garages.
- Upgrading cabinets, counters, appliances, flooring and fixtures.
- Creating a floor plan that’s customized for your lifestyle, maybe making the kitchen the home hub, or building a luxurious spa-like bathroom, or a finished basement for the kids.
- Green remodeling and energy efficiency with new windows, doors, insulation and climate control systems.
- Increasing the resale value of your home!
How do I select my design-build contractor?
There are so many remodeling contractors in Northern Virginia to choose from, and it can be difficult to sort through them all to find the right one for you. It is important to choose a home improvement contractor with an established business in Northern Virginia. Check reference from past customers in your neighborhood and community, whether you are in Fairfax, Loudoun, Alexandria, Arlington, Springfield, Mclean or Falls Church. It’s also a good idea to check with the Better Business Bureau and NARI (National Association of Remodelers). Of course, your remodeling firm should be licensed and insured. These are just the minimum requirements that any remodeling company should meet. Make sure design-build build firm or remodeling contractor understands you and your family’s need and you feel that your are in trusting hands. Click here to download a list of the questions you should be asking before inviting a remodeling company into your home.
Interview Questions to Ask your Design Build Firm or Remodeling Contractor:
- Does your remodeling company specialize in kitchens, bathrooms, basements, universal living, green remodeling, additons, whole house, garages and sunrooms?
- How long have you been in business? What areas for Northern Virginia do you work the most in?
- Who will actually be designing our kitchen or bathroom?
- Who will be assigned to manage our remodeling project once the construction starts?
- What awards and recognitions has your remodeling company received in the Northern Virginia region, and on a National level?
- What association do they belong to?
- How do you measure customer satisfaction?
- How will I be able to communicate with the Lead Carpenter, Production Manager and Design Manager?
- How do I know when things are happening? Who manages the design schedule and the construction schedule?
- What type of process is in the place to help me make decisions regarding my budget and lifestyle?
- What is your approach to a project of this scope? Listen carefully to the answer. This is one of the big indicators of the company’s work ethic, system and the processes they have in place.
- How is your firm organized? Do you have employees or do you hire subcontractors? If you do have employees, what are their job descriptions? Will you use a project supervisior and a lead carpenter to oversee the project? You should know what parts of your project will be handled be what staff.
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business? This will give you a good indication about the company’s customer satisfaction.
- Of the many questions you can ask during an interview, the most important question is one you must ask yourelf, “Do I feel comfortable with, feel heard by and trust the person I am about to hire?” Your answer to that last question should make the hiring decision a little easier
How much should my remodeling project cost?
This really depends on the size and scope of your project. The materials chosen, the size of the room and the age of the infastructure can all impact the project cost as well. Remember, when you are comparing bids that you are comparing the exact same scope from each contractor – which is very difficlut to do. If a price comes in that looks too good to be true, it probably is.
What is Green Remodeling, and what are some of the benefits of it?
Remodeling a home to make it more environmentally friendly or “green,” is easier than you may think. And, best of all, it gives you a unique opportunity to incorporate cost-saving an earth-sustaining green concepts into your home. Green remodeling encompasses making a home healthy, comfortable and energy efficient. Consideration is given to indoor air quality, energy conservation, resource conservation, reduced material waste and the use of products that are better for the environment (and for people). Bottom line, it’s easier on the earth, can lower energy cost and it provides a healthier home for your family. There are some small ways to think about green remodeling too:
- Non-toxic paints and sealants
- Programmable thermostats
- Energy efficient appliances
- Natural Flooring
- Local building materials
- Natural fiber rugs and fabrics
- Recycled material roof shingles and tiles
- Energy efficient lighting
- Insulated hot water pipes
- Tankless water heaters
- Quality insulation
- Native plants for landscaping